BREAKING NEWS: New South Wales relaxes coronavirus restrictions to allow 20 people in a home – as food courts re-open for dining in
- New South Wales has not had a community transmission case for two weeks
- Today Premier Gladys Berejiklian increased limit on gatherings to 20 people
- Current limits for gatherings are five people in a house and 10 people outside
- Food courts will re-open for dining from Saturday after offering take away
- Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19
Published: | Updated:
New South Wales has relaxed more coronavirus restrictions to allow gatherings of 20 people in a home and outside from Saturday.
The current limits for gatherings are five people in a house and 10 people outside.
Food courts – which have only been allowed to offer takeaway – will be re-opened for dining in, also from Saturday.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced the changes today after the state recorded zero new cases caused by community transmission for the 14th day in a row.
Food courts – which have only been allowed to offer takeaway – will be re-opened for dining in from Saturday. Pictured: A Sydney food court in March
Public gatherings of 20 will now be allowed under the new rules. Pictured: Residents at Sydney’s Bondi Beach
‘From this Saturday, you will be able to welcome 20 people into your home as well as having gatherings outside with 20 people,’ she said.
‘This is based on the health advice, given the data and how well we’ve been doing.
‘And from Saturday also you will be able to attend food courts in a socially distanced way.’
However, Ms Berejiklian warned that people still need to take care when meeting loved ones.
‘Please do not let your guard down and when you are around vulnerable people, how you treat your loved ones and those with underlying illnesses that can be impacted more heavily with the virus.
‘We cannot forget the virus is still amongst us,’ she said.
New South Wales has relaxed more coronavirus restrictions to allow 20 people in a home instead of 10 from Saturday. Pictured: Premier Gladys Berejiklian
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the government’s decision are informed by health advice.
‘NSW has now gone two full weeks without detecting a single case of recent community transmission of COVID-19 – this is a testament to the hard work of the community,’ Mr Hazzard said.
‘The cooperation of the public and business, and our high rates of testing, remain our greatest weapons to stamping out community transmission so it’s vital people continue to come forward.’
COVID-Safe plan for food courts
Food courts must have a COVID safe plan in place when they reopen on Saturday, this will include:
• Abiding by the 4 square metre rule;
• A maximum of 50 people per separate seated eating area; and
• Enhanced hygiene and cleaning processes.
It comes after the government announced on Wednesday that community sport for adults will restart in New South Wales on July 1.
The state government previously announced sport for under-18s would begin on that date and has today ruled adult sport can restart at the same time.
Crowds will not be allowed and only 50 people can be inside a clubhouse or stadium area serving food and drink at once.
Only 50 people can be inside a clubhouse or stadium area serving food and drink at once. Pictured: Manly Sea Eagles club house